Judson Studios is a fine arts studio specializing in stained glass located in the Highland Park section (also known as Garvanza) of northeast Los Angeles. The stained glass studio was founded in the Mott Alley section of downtown Los Angeles in the mid-1890s by English-born artist William Lees Judson and his three sons. It moved to its current location in 1920 and remains in operation as a family-run business. The Judson Studios building was named a Historic-Cultural Landmark by the City of Los Angeles in 1969 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
More recently, Judson Studios has pioneered the new technical practice of fusing glass, and collaborated with artists to create artworks that push the boundaries of the medium. The full scope of the studio’s output is captured in a thorough but concise retrospective exhibition, Judson Studios: Stained Glass From Gothic to Street Style, on view through September at Glendale’s Forest Lawn Museum, itself home to one of the largest stained glass collections in the United States.
By the 1920s, the studio had transitioned to making fully-fledged modernist windows, such as for Frank Lloyd Wright’s Ennis House and Hollyhock House, the only UNESCO World Heritage Site in LA.
Over its first century of operation, Judson Studios produced more than 10,000 stained-glass works that can be found throughout Southern California and the United States. Notable examples around Los Angeles can be seen at the Hollyhock House, Ennis House, the Natural History Museum, Glendale Presbyterian Church, and the All Saints Church in Pasadena. David and his team of skilled craftsmen bring a 21st century sensibility and new technology to this ancient craft.
According to craftinamerica.org; en.wikipedia.org