Disney Company, in full The Walt Disney Company, formerly (1929–86) Walt Disney Productions, American corporation that was the best-known purveyor of family entertainment in the 20th and 21st centuries. It also was one of the world’s largest media conglomerates, with such notable holdings as ABC, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel Entertainment, and 20th Century Fox. Disney headquarters are in Burbank, California.
The company’s milestones:
– October 16, 1923, Disney was originally founded by brothers Walt and Roy O. Disney as the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio.
– March 1, 1924: Release of first Alice Comedy—“Alice’s Day at Sea.”
– January, 1926: The Disneys move to their new studio at 2719 Hyperion. The name of the company is changed from “The Disney Brothers Studio” to “Walt Disney Studios”.
– September 5, 1927: Release of first “Oswald the Lucky Rabbit” cartoon.
– November 18, 1928: Steamboat Willie premieres at the Colony Theatre in New York—the first Mickey Mouse cartoon released, also the first appearance of Minnie Mouse.
– August 22, 1929: The Skeleton Dance, the first Silly Symphony, premieres.
– December 16, 1929: The Disney brothers’ partnership is replaced by four companies: Walt Disney Productions, Ltd.; Walt Disney Enterprises; Liled Realty and Investment Company; and the Disney Film Recording Company.
– In 1930: Mickey Mouse comic strip begins.The Chain Gang, first appearance of Pluto, premieres. He did not receive the name Pluto until The Moose Hunt (1931).
– July 30, 1932: Flowers and Trees, first full-color cartoon and first Academy Award winner, premieres.
– May 27, 1933: Three Little Pigs, Academy Award winner, premieres.
– June 9, 1934: The Wise Little Hen, first appearance of Donald Duck, premieres.
– February 23, 1935: The Band Concert, first Mickey Mouse cartoon in color, premieres.
– December 21, 1937: Premiere of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, first feature-length animated film, at the Carthay Circle Theatre.
– February 7, 1940: Premiere of Pinocchio.
– October, 1949: Walt Disney Music Company formed.
– July 19, 1950: Premiere of Treasure Island, first completely live-action feature.
– February 5, 1953: Peter Pan premieres.
– July 17, 1955: Opening of Disneyland.
– October 3, 1955: First program of the Mickey Mouse Club television series.
– October 10, 1957: First program of the Zorro television series.
– March 19, 1959: Premiere of The Shaggy Dog, first of a series of wacky comedies.
– June 23, 1963: Enchanted Tiki Room opens at Disneyland, first use of Audio-Animatronics figures.
– June 25, 1969: Walt Disney Educational Materials Co. incorporated.
– June 17, 1971: 100,000,000th guest welcomed at Disneyland.
– October 1, 1971: Opening of Walt Disney World.
– March 22, 1975: Walt Disney World Village opens.
– In 1983: Tokyo Disneyland opens.The Disney Channel begins broadcasting. New Fantasyland opens at Disneyland.
– September 4, 1986: Airing of syndicated Disney features and TV shows begins.
– February 11, 1987: The Walt Disney Company re-incorporated in Delaware.
– October 16, 1988: First Disney/Soviet Film Festival opens.
– May 29, 1991: 100,000,000th guest welcomed at Tokyo Disneyland.
– April 18, 1994: Beauty and the Beast stage show opens on Broadway.
– June 15, 1994: Premiere of The Lion King.
– November 4, 1994: The first Walt Disney Gallery opens at the MainPlace Mall in Santa Ana, California.
– In 1996: Disney Online launches Disney.com on the World Wide Web. Debut of Radio Disney on the ABC Radio Networks.
– June 19, 1998: Premiere of Mulan.
– In 1999: Tarzan and The Sixth Sense premieres.
– In 2001: Pearl Harbor; Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Monsters, Inc. premieres. Tokyo DisneySea opens.
– In 2002: Walt Disney Studios, Paris, opens. Lilo & Stitch; Signs and Treasure Planet premieres.
-In 2003: Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl premiere.
– November 5, 2004: The Incredibles premieres.
-In 2005: Happiest Celebration on Earth begins at all Disney theme parks to honor 50 years of Disneyland. Chicken Little; The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe premieres.
– In 2006: High School Musical airs and breaks all Disney Channel records, with its soundtrack going platinum. High School Musical is the first full-length movie to be sold via digital download, on Apple’s iTunes Music Store, followed by theatrical features in September.Hannah Montana debuts on Disney Channel.
– In 2008, Disney-MGM Studios is renamed Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Phineas and Ferb debuts on Disney Channel after an August 2007 preview. First Disney-operated language training center, Disney English, opens in China.
– May 29, 2009: Up, from Pixar, premieres, which would win two Oscars.
– In 2010: Alice in Wonderland premieres; it would go on to win 2 Oscars.Toy Story 3, from Pixar, premieres; it would win 2 Oscars.
– May 4, 2012: Marvel’s The Avengers premieres.
– November 27, 2013: Frozen premieres and becomes the highest-grossing animation film to date and wins two Academy Awards.
– June 19, 2015: The Oscar winner Inside Out premieres.
– April 26, 2019: Avengers: Endgame premieres.
According to en.wikipedia.org; d23.com. Source of photo: internet