Marriott is the largest hotel chain in the world by the number of available rooms. It has 30 brands with 8,000 properties containing 1,423,044 rooms in 131 countries and territories. Of these 8,000 properties, 2,149 are operated by Marriott, and 5,493 are operated by others pursuant to franchise agreements. The company also operates 20 hotel reservation centers.
The company’s milestones:
– In 1927 – Newlyweds J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott, along with business partner Hugh Colton, open the first A&W root beer franchise in Washington, D.C. The Marriotts add hot food items to their menu–a first for A&W franchises–and the name “Hot Shoppes” is born.
– In 1928 – The Marriotts open two more Hot Shoppes, including the East Coast’s first drive-in restaurant.
– In 1937 – In-flight airline catering debuted when Hot Shoppes begins delivery of boxed lunches to passengers at Hoover Airport, south of Washington, D.C.
– In 1957 – Marriott made a historic shift into the hotel business in 1957. The world’s first motor hotel opened in Arlington, Virginia, under the management of J. Willard Marriott’s son, Bill.
– In 1959 – Key Bridge Marriott opens.
– In 1969 – Marriott opens its first international hotel in Acapulco, Mexico.
– In 1972 – Marriott partnered with Sun Line, becoming the first lodging company to enter the cruise business.
– In 1983 – Marriott debuts lodging for business travelers with the first Courtyard hotel.
– In 1984 – The first JW Marriott, named in honor of founder J. Willard Marriott, opens in downtown Washington, D.C.
– In 1987 – With the opening of the first Fairfield Inn and Marriott Suites hotels, Marriott becomes the first lodging company to offer a portfolio of brands. Marriott acquires Residence Inn and pioneered the extended-stay lodging business.
– In 1988 – Marriott opens its 500th hotel in Warsaw, Poland, the first western-managed hotel in Eastern Europe.
– In 1995 – Marriott brings a historic brand into its portfolio when it acquires a 49% interest in The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company.
– In 1997 – Marriott acquires Renaissance Hotel Group, doubling Marriott’s presence overseas. Marriott launches TownePlace Suites.
– In 1998 – Marriott launches SpringHill Suites by Marriott.
– In 2004 – The first Bulgari Hotels & Resorts property opens in Milan, Italy.
– In 2008 – Bill Marriott and Ian Schrager officially announce the EDITION brand.
– In 2009 – Marriott launches Autograph Collection, a new brand of upscale and luxury independent hotels.
– In 2011 – AC Hotels by Marriott brand was formally launched.
– In 2013 – Marriott debuts MOXY HOTELS – The new brand is the company’s first entry into the economy tier, three-star hospitality segment in Europe. Design-focused AC Hotels by Marriott brand is imported into the Americas.
– In 2014 – Marriott nearly doubles its distribution in Africa to more than 23,000 rooms with its acquisition of Protea Hotels’ Brands.
– In 2016 – Marriott International acquires Starwood Hotels & Resorts, creating the world’s largest hotel company with 5,700+ properties offering more than 1.1 million rooms across 30 brands in over 110 countries.
According to en.Wikipedia; marriott.com. Source of photo: internet